Monday, April 2, 2007

The two-fold Work of the Spirit

Eze 36:26 A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh.

The Spirit's work in us begins with putting a new spirit in us. He is the one who gives life to our spirit. He causes our hearts to be renewed according the power of the Resurrection. This is what it means to be born of the Spirit. This renewal of the spirit is both a one time and an on-going process. It is one time in that when we receive Jesus, He imparts His life to us and raises us from spiritual death. It is on-going in that day by day we rely upon the Holy Spirit to continually infuse His life in us. We live in perpetual Resurrection.

The other part of His work is to take up residence in us. He both builds the house and lives in the house. How glorious is this reality. To have the creator of the universe living in your heart. What wisdom and insight is available to us if we but ask. What power and boldness to demonstrate Christ to the world if we only would tap into this Divine resource. The very Spirit that was upon Jesus when he went about healing and doing such mighty works, lives in us. We do not need to go to some mountain or distant place to commune with the most High. He is as near as our breath.

Oh, Holy Spirit. Living Lord.
You bring the very breath of heaven to my life.
To you I owe my birth into the kingdom.
I give thanks to my God for giving His Spirit without measure to all who ask.

No comments: